broken or chipped tooth is never something that is planned or convenient. If a tooth breaks, you want it to be restored quickly. A dental crown
covers and restores a broken tooth. Located in Phoenix, AZ,
the team at Biltmore Dental Center offers dental crowns
as a treatment
option to restore damaged teeth quickly and safely.
What is CEREC dentistry?
CEREC, which stands for Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics, was developed in 1980 and put into practice in 1985. CEREC crowns have been used to successfully restore teeth ever since. Having in-office CAD/CAM technology and a milling machine enables dentists to create restorations in a single dental appointment
CEREC vs traditional crowns
Both CEREC and traditional crowns are caps that cover, restore, and protect a chipped or broken tooth. The purpose is the same. The difference lies in how they are designed and created. Traditional crowns are generally created using manual impressions of the teeth. Impressions and notes regarding the size, color, and shape of the tooth are sent to an off-site laboratory. Since the crown is created off-site, a temporary crown may be placed while you wait. Once the permanent crown is completed, it is cemented into place at a later dental visit.
The process for CEREC crowns is started and completed in a single office visit. The smile is restored in one appointment rather than visiting the dentist multiple times and waiting weeks for the crown to be finished. Using digital impressions rather than manual ones, CEREC crowns are created in the office while you wait using state-of-the-art CAD technology and a milling machine.
Digital impressions help the dentist design a computerized crown. The design can be modified as necessary to ensure a natural-looking result. Then, the dentist approves the design and starts the milling machine. The crown is ready within minutes and can be bonded to the broken tooth. The entire process is done in one appointment without the need to return to the office for a follow up.
Advantages of CEREC crowns
Regardless whether CEREC or traditional crowns are used, the cap protects the tooth and restores the smile. Crowns are restorations that maintain the health of your mouth. At Biltmore Dental Center, we strive to preserve as much of the natural tooth as possible. CEREC crowns allow us to restore broken or chipped teeth in an efficient, effective manner that is convenient for patients.
Advantages of CEREC restorations include:
- Single dental appointment - Since the entire process is started and completed in one visit, patients save time and money by only making one trip to the dentist. There is no need to miss additional time from work or school. The crown is created and bonded the same day.
- Comfortable - Biting into a mold for manual impressions can leave a foul taste in your mouth. Digital impressions are easy and comfortable for patients.
- Natural-looking - Using advanced CAD technology produces an aesthetically pleasing dental crown. The dentist can tweak the design to ensure the crown matches the natural tooth and adjacent teeth in size, shape, and color. The end result appears to be a natural tooth.
- Functional - CEREC crowns are created using a single block of ceramic. Not only does this ceramic material mimic a natural tooth in color, it is also durable enough to function as a tooth. The result is a restoration that is sturdy, less likely to chip, and blends smoothly with your natural tooth.
- Cost-effective - With an in-office milling machine, the dentist creates a crown the same day rather than sending it to an off-site lab for fabrication. This means no added off-site laboratory fees for patients.
- Safe - CEREC restorations are ceramic and metal-free making them safe for patients.
- Conservative - Depending upon the patient’s need, it is possible that more of the natural tooth can be preserved during the preparation process with CEREC restorations.
Traditional and CEREC dental crowns are treatment options to restore broken teeth. The convenient process and effective result are just two of the benefits of using CEREC crowns to maintain the health of your teeth. When trauma occurs, save yourself time and money with quality CEREC crowns.
Contact the team at Biltmore Dental Center to learn more about your dental restoration options. We keep Phoenix smiling. Call [phone] .
Back to Dental Crowns and Bridges Home Page